by Malti B Lee
news, thoughts & resources on art making, creative inspirations, and the business of art
- The 100 Day Project: Why I’m Joining & What I’m Doing#the100dayproject Hey creative friends! 🎨 This week marks the kickoff of something pretty exciting – my first-ever 100 Day Project. In this blog post, I’m sharing my thinking on why I’m diving into this challenge, the plan, and my expectations for the next 100 days. Motivation I didn’t start this… Read more: The 100 Day Project: Why I’m Joining & What I’m Doing
- In Conversation With Happy & Human PodcastAs a full-time British Indian artist who holds a PhD in Biophysics and worked at Boston Consulting Group as a management consultant for a number years – it’s safe to say that I’ve pivoted careers a *few* times. As such, I love sharing my experiences, journey and what I’ve learned… Read more: In Conversation With Happy & Human Podcast
- Selected & Published: An International Art Magazine for Emerging ArtistsI’m super excited to have been selected & publicised in the Suboart Magazine December 2023 Edition (Nr.15). You can find my work among a selection of brilliant artists and creators in this magazine focusing on celebrating and amplifying emerging artists. I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again, there’s… Read more: Selected & Published: An International Art Magazine for Emerging Artists
- A year in numbers: An Emerging Artist’s careerAs a new calendar year starts, I take time to reflect back on the previous year, the art I created, the lessons learned, the highlights & lowlights too. Just 18 months ago, after moving from England to California, I started showing and selling my artwork to the public. As an… Read more: A year in numbers: An Emerging Artist’s career
- An Artist’s Year in Books – My 2023 Reading ListAs the year draws to a close, I find myself reflecting back on the rich tapestry of stories that have colored my world and expanded my horizons in 2023. This year has been a literary journey filled with tales that have sparked my imagination, challenged my perceptions, and, most importantly,… Read more: An Artist’s Year in Books – My 2023 Reading List
- Launching soon: I’m Starting My Art Mailing Club![Update] My Art Mailing Club is live! Read all about it & join here. There’s something rather special about receiving something via snail mail. When I was younger and travelling the world, I loved writing postcards to friends and family back home. Recently, I’ve been thinking a lot about how writing… Read more: Launching soon: I’m Starting My Art Mailing Club!
- Celebrating Diwali on the Ice With the San Jose SharksWhat an exhilarating night at the SAP Center, celebrating Diwali with the San Jose Sharks! Seeing my artwork prominently featured at a national league game and to find myself interviewed on the colossal screens surpassed even my wildest dreams! It was an absolute thrill to see the crest I’d meticulously… Read more: Celebrating Diwali on the Ice With the San Jose Sharks
- Celebrating Diwali: My Exclusive Crest Design for the San Jose SharksHave you heard? The San Jose Sharks are hosting a Celebration of Diwali and I designed the crest and shoulder patches!! Earlier this year, a unique opportunity to submit a proposal to the San Jose Sharks, my local NHL team. I’d been to the SAP Center for games (where I… Read more: Celebrating Diwali: My Exclusive Crest Design for the San Jose Sharks
- A Candid Conversation on “Work, Life, No Balance”I had a great conversation with Prash Raval on his podcast, “Work Life No Balance”. In this candid discussion, we dove into my transition from my corporate job as a management consultant to building a thriving career as a working artist. No frills, no gloss, just an open conversation about… Read more: A Candid Conversation on “Work, Life, No Balance”
- Awards & Artistic Opportunities: Navigating Life’s Distractions With Your NetworkIn the whirlwind of life’s many demands, from organizing a wedding in under 3 months to purchasing my first home, my personal life has been the center of my attention lately. Amidst these significant life changes, I’ve had to make tough decisions about how I allocate my time between my… Read more: Awards & Artistic Opportunities: Navigating Life’s Distractions With Your Network
- Setting Up My Art Festival Booth: Then & NowDuring art festival season, fellow artists often ask me about my booth setup journey. How did I get started? What gear did I pick? How do I hang my artwork? Let’s dive into my booth evolution, from a rushed start to a well-oiled setup. Getting Started: The Unexpected Adventure Back… Read more: Setting Up My Art Festival Booth: Then & Now
- A rollercoaster first year as a full-time working artist12 months ago I started selling my artwork to the public. I released my very first collection on my home-made website. As I did this, I was nervous about putting myself out there and how I’d be perceived. What if no one wants my work? What if I don’t sell… Read more: A rollercoaster first year as a full-time working artist
- An Interview with Art of the Bay: SessionsAs a working artist, I get energy from sharing my experiences, journey and what I’ve learned so far with wider audiences – doing so in conversation with someone else makes it that much more enjoyable! Tune into my interview with Nando at Art of the Bay: Sessions. We talk about… Read more: An Interview with Art of the Bay: Sessions
- Unveiling the Muse: Inspirations Behind My Latest Art CollectionAs my debut solo exhibition, Lost in Color, adorns the walls of the Lindsay Dirkx Brown Art Gallery in San Ramon, CA, I am excited to take you on a journey into the heart of my creative process. In this blog post, I share the inspiration behind the collection, weaving… Read more: Unveiling the Muse: Inspirations Behind My Latest Art Collection
- Exploring the World Around You: How to Find Inspiration for Your ArtAs an artist, finding inspiration for that next painting can be a real challenge. At times, it feels like there are no good ideas out there and you just don’t know where to start. We’ve all been there! In this blog post, I share some of my favourite ways to… Read more: Exploring the World Around You: How to Find Inspiration for Your Art
- The creative process behind my ‘Lost in Colour’ paintingsThe most common question I’m asked when sharing paintings from my ‘Lost in Colour’ collection, is how I create them and what the creative process involves. My ‘Lost in Colour’ paintings are distinct style; they characteristically feature line-drawn architectural details and expressive flowers against vivid abstract backgrounds. You can see… Read more: The creative process behind my ‘Lost in Colour’ paintings
- Podcast interview: Exploring my creative process, tools and techOne of my favourite parts of being a working artist is the conversations I have with fellow creatives, collectors and the wider public. The back-and-forth that comes with dialogue and the connections that are built, nourish and motivate me in this career. This is probably why my calendar seems filled… Read more: Podcast interview: Exploring my creative process, tools and tech
- On affordable art and supporting the communityTwo things that I’m deeply passionate about are (1) offering affordable original paintings and (2) uplifting my local community . During my life as a PhD student, there were times that I’d fall in love with an artist’s work and want to purchase an original piece from them. However, that… Read more: On affordable art and supporting the community
- 4 reasons for creatives to make time to play and experimentIn just under 3 months, my first solo exhibition opens. With another 15 new paintings needed for this show, I’m busy in the studio, spending every spare moment on creating. With the hard deadline fast approaching, the pressure to produce gallery-ready pieces at a fast pace is piling on. As… Read more: 4 reasons for creatives to make time to play and experiment
- In my ears: 5 podcasts for an emerging artistI found my love of podcasts during my years as a PhD student. Hundreds & thousands of hours were spent alone with my cells (for experiments) at my atomic force microscope in a darkened, silenced room (light and sound interfered with my measurements). The company of podcasts stopped the silence… Read more: In my ears: 5 podcasts for an emerging artist
Sign Up to my newsletter
Get the behind-the-scenes from my Austin-based studio, hear about new releases & events, and receive member exclusive bonuses!
You’ll get an update from me once/twice a month.
I promise not to bombard you with emails-I hate my inbox getting flooded too!